After recording two back-to-back victories in the Premier League, Manchester United will be aiming to secure a positive result when they host Belgian outfit Club Brugge in the first leg of their Champions League playoff.
Louis van Gaal’s side enter into the game having won both of their opening league clashes – 1-0 win against Tottenham Hotspur Old Trafford thanks to an own goal from Kyle Walker before a hard-fought away victory to Aston Villa.
The Premier League season 2013/14 was very hurting for Manchester United and their fans, during which the Red Devils failed not only to defend their title but also to book their place in even Europa League – that was first time United had not qualified for a European competition since 1990. As the result, David Moyes was sacked and replaced by Louis Van Gaal.
The 64-year-old Dutchman did manage to lead the Old Trafford outfit to fourth last term, thereby booking a spot in the Champions League playoffs.
Manchester United Vs Club Brugge
Date: Tuesday, 18 August, 2015
Time: 7:45 p.m. BST/2:45 p.m. ET
Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester
TV Schedule: BT Sport Europe / Fox Sports 1
Live Streaming: BT Sport / Fox Sports
Facts to Remember
- This will be Louis Van Gaal’s first Champions League game as Manchester United boss.
- Van Gaal won the European Cup in the 1994/95 season as manager of Ajax.
- Manchester United have won four of their last five UEFA Champions League matches at home ground.
- Man United’s last UCL encounter was a 3-1 loss at the hands Bayern Munich in the quarterfinals of the 2013/14 season.
- The Red Devils have never lost a UEFA Champions League qualifying tie (W4).
- United are have won the Champions League title three times – the last of which came in 2008.
- It will be Club Brugge’s first appearance in Champions League play-off. Before this, the Belgian outfit have won all five of their UEFA Europa League’s play-off ties.
Manchester United: Romero; Blind, Shaw, Darmian, Smalling; Herrera, Schneiderlin; Januzaj, Depay, Mata; Rooney
Club Brugge: Bruzzese; Mechele, Cools, De Bock, Duarte; Vasquez, Simons, Dierckx, Vormer; Diaby, Oulare