The English Premier League is all set to be back kicking off on Saturday lunchtime with a cracker, as Manchester United host Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford in Greater Manchester, England.
The Red Devils are an intriguing proposition ahead of the season opener, having brought in significant reinforcements over the summer.
Spurs are also in great shape, especially as Harry Kane has seemingly not shed even a bit of the goalscoring prowess he showed last season.
Below we present some basic facts and stats about opening weekend’s high-profile fixture.
- Manchester United’s downfall to Swansea at Old Trafford last season was their first defeat at home on the opening weekend in over four decades.
- Former United star Wayne Rooney has scored more goals on the opening weekend than any other current Premier League player. The Englishman has scored 10 goals in 15 league appearances for Man Utd against Spurs.
- Former Red Devil Memphis Depay scored seven direct free kick goals last season; more than any other player in the top five European leagues.
- A defeat in the opening weekend often proves lucky for the Red Devils. The have won the prestigious title thrice after losing the season opener.
- Harry Kane scored 21 Premier League goals last season and helped his team earn 24 points, more than any other player.
- Lilywhites played the youngest average starting eleven in the top-flight last season.
- Spurs have lost in 18 of 23 matches at Old Trafford since 1992/93 (W2 D3) but triumphed in two of the last three outing to the venue.
- Spurs remained undefeated in five top-flight games against the Red Devils (W2 D3) before losing 0-3 at Old Trafford in March.
- Hugo Lloris is fit for Tottenham’s season-opener against Manchester United on Saturday.
Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspurs: Possible Line-ups
Manchester United: de Gea – Darmian – Jones – Blind – Shaw – Schneiderlin – Schweinsteiger – Mata – Depay – Young – Rooney
Tottenham Hotspurs: Vorm – Walker – Alderweireld – Vertonghen – Davies – Yedlin – Bentaleb – Chadli – Eriksen – Dembele – Kane
Injury or Suspended Players
- Manchester United: None
- Tottenham Hotspurs: Hugo Lloris (inj) – A. Townsend (inj) – Mason (inj)